Monday, June 11, 2007

Top 5 Games

Well, it's time for a good old fashioned top 5 list. These are the top 5 video/computer games I have played. I take into account graphics, gameplay, and replayability, but most of all I'm looking at the ones that gave me the most continued enjoyment. Also, only single games are included, not entire series (though that does leave it open to all five coming from the same series).

5. Scorched Earth (PC)
Death's Heads, Hot Napalm, and Funky Bombs are only some of the many varied weapons available to you to blow up you opponents' tanks. Countless hours of enjoyment were spent in my high school computer science class playing this game. Ten years removed from high school, and I'm still playing it.

4. Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo 64)
I went with this version over the GameCube one because this is the one we played hours on end back in Texas. And when things got dull, we could always spice them back up by playing with our feet or upside-down.

3. Commander Keen in Goodbye Galaxy: Secret of the Oracle (PC)
This was one of the first (if not the first) side-scrolling, jump-around-and-get-all-the-goodies game I played on the PC. My siblings and I played it so much we had just about every level memorized. The fourth installment had better graphics and gameplay than the first trilogy, and while I may like the fifth one a little better now, Commander Keen 4 will still have that unshakable special place in my gaming history.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64)
No matter what way you slice it, whichever criteria you may use, Ocarina of Time is a great game. It strikes a nice balance between puzzle solving and smiting baddies, and very rarely is a world so filled out as it is in this one.

1. Metroid II: Return of Samus (Nintendo Game Boy)
This was the first game my siblings and I purchased for our Game Boy, and it is the game that has gotten the most use. It is the first game of it's sort that I was able to beat every time (being able to save really helped), and with my brother, we managed to figure out every secret and goodie the game has to offer. And yes, I can beat it in under two hours every time.

Honorable mentions:
Banjo Kazooie (Nintendo 64)
The Curse of Monkey Island (PC)
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (Nintendo GameCube)
Railroad Rider (PC)
Sim City (PC)

So now the gauntlet is out. Can the rest of you come up with a list just as good or better than mine?

No comments: